Sometime we may need to cancel an hung task like active vmotion/backup which may show as disabled from the vSphere client.
- First check if there is an active task running for the VM in the Task and Events Tab.
- Log in to ESXi host via SSH (using e.g. putty). If the SSH service is not running on ESXi host, please enable it.
- Run ps command. use grep e.g. ps | grep VM_name
- Kill the parent process by running the command kill id_parent e.g. kill 859467
- The hang task should be canceled now and will reflect in the Tasks and Events in the vCenter.