Restarting the Management agents on ESXi
To restart the management agents on ESXi:
From the Direct Console User Interface (DCUI):
- Connect to the console of your ESXi host.
- PressF2 to customize the system.
- Log in asroot.
- Use theUp/Down arrows to navigate to Restart Management Agents.
Note: In ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.0, 5.1, 5.5 and 6.0 this option is available under Troubleshooting Options.
- PressF11 to restart the services.
- When the service has been restarted, pressEnter.
- PressEsc to log out of the system.
From the Local Console or SSH:
- Log in to SSH or Local console as root.
- Run these commands:
Note: In ESXi 4.x, run this command to restart thevpxa agent:
service vmware-vpxa restart
- To reset the management network on a specific VMkernel interface, by default vmk0, run the command:
esxcli network ip interface set -e false -i vmk0; esxcli network ip interface set -e true -i vmk0
Note: Using a semicolon (;) between the two commands ensures the VMkernel interface is disabled and then re-enabled in succession. If the management interface is not running on vmk0, change the above command according to the VMkernel interface used.
- To restart all management agents on the host, run the command:
- Check if LACP is enabled on DVS for version 5.x and above. For more information, see vSphere 5.0 Networking Guide
- If LACP is enabled and configured, do not restart management services using services.sh script instead restart independent services using /etc/init.d/module restart command.
- If the issue is not resolved, and you have to restart all the services that are a part of the services.sh script, take a downtime before proceeding to the script.
Note: For more information about restarting the management service on an ESXi host, see Service mgmt-vmware restart may not restart hostd in ESX/ESXi (1005566).